Monday, February 25, 2013

the marks of humans


 Sunday we went to see the civil war drawings at the Cooley Gallery at Reed. Maybe its the Lincoln movie, maybe its my own thinking about drawing and the mark of a human hand. It was breathtaking.

The drawings are mostly very small, they give you a magnifying glass to look a the detail, which I think adds to the intimacy. There was no photography in the cvil war, just these young men drawing what they saw, the pages are worn and folded. Did drawings have more power when they were the only means to record events? I look a them from my rather formalist vantage point and see beautiful marks, negative spaces, light. But I am also aware that they are a memento of time, that actual humans made these actual marks.






Here are a couple of little sketches from the studio.

3 comments:

  1. Hey pals and Lionel if you are out there...

    Realized I missed posting last week, not sure what happened. Looking forward to seeing you Thursday, drawing in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lionel, et al.
    something intimate about a drawing.

    ReplyDelete