Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sifting

I've been thinking about space and scaffolding and what remains and what falls through. I used to paint on wood panels with acrylic and layers of charcoal and chalk. Tonight I took a pencil to this scrap of linen book cloth I found in my studio. I extended the line onto cardboard. The cloth is like screen, it is unravelling and I can see through it, but not clearly. Sort of like an early morning.

My sweetie gave me a book he'd found in a used bookstore. The Chatauqua Yearbook is from 1897 and smells like old sweaters and basements and boxes opened after a long time. The pages are hand sewn and the paper edges unfinished and brown. I found it in a pile along with some old paintings of mine.

The book has words of advice for every day of the year.

Desperate. What a word. It's felt a little desperate the past few years. Death in the immediate family. Tumor surgery. Watching small children grieve. Forgetting to paint. "Every day is a little life..." the book says. So I'll take book making materials and draw on them and invoke contentment, even if for just a little minute in this big life.

Downstairs I hear my daughter playing piano and singing. My son is asking me to come read to him. The pencil on the linen is a signature of some kind. Or new etymology of a map to somewhere new.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. I am so moved by your simple line falling off the page onto the cardboard. Lovely. I have never entirely understood why the mark of a human hand is so overwhelmingly beautiful.

    I suppose any wasted day feels desperate, but more pronounced as we age. There are fewer of them out ahead. But richer and clearer, it seems.

    I love how a simple mark can bring us back, a gesture of hope.

    Thanks Kirsten, I am glad you have come back to us and hope your life is gentler to you for a good long while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every day we make a mark on our canvas. some days are big strokes, some small. some are great and some we wish we hadn't made, but in the end we have a painting. hopefully it's an interesting one, and hopefully the good marks outweigh the bad ones. you're a real artist, Kirsten. the last few years have left some severe marks on the canvas. you will understand how they all relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the way that you weave thoughts and images together.

    ReplyDelete