Friday, January 28, 2011

Does it always have to be this way?

Do I have to be in the studio at the eleventh hour, making a mess, ruining perfectly good tubes of paint and cheap Chinese brushes? I always want to begin again, but end up just adding on. Maybe we just have one good tale to tell in our lives. I am still waiting for the moment the last piece comes together. Like a miracle, you make a mark that you didn't know was in you and it's just right. Let's hope there's one more mark...
Sean Scully says "It seems to me that there are highs and lows, and that there have been periods that are, I would say, less creative, where you're simply holding a position, and there are other periods where you feel you have breathed enough air to be able to exhale again, to be expansive again."

I'm filling my lungs....

2 comments:

  1. what a great quote. i love knowing that other artists, great artists, share the same struggles. sometimes you feel so alone in your studio, like you are the only person who feels a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my pieces got smudged while being put under glass. i just had to have it in the show! it is probably cooking and sweating all sealed up.
    thanks kate, for sharing your thoughts and the sean scully quote. the photo from your studio---- sliding sideways to the line!
    here we go....

    ReplyDelete