Monday, August 9, 2010

Back home



Hey blogger pals,
I am back from 2 weeks in beautiful Oregon, a much needed rest, time to look. I thought a lot about space and how to find it in life. I have been visualizing a daily calendar where the the block of time for painting is the biggest block, well, at least bigger than it has been.


Here are some things I saw while I was away....





I have been reading Resistance and Persistence by Sean Sculley. He says "I was always looking at the horizon line, at the way the end of the sea touches the beginnings of the sky, the way the sky presses down on to the sea, the way that line is painted...I think of land, sea, sky and they make a massive connection. I try to paint this...coming together of land and sea, sky and land. Stacked in horizon lines endlessly beginning and ending, the way the blocks of the world hug each other and brush up against each other, their weight, their air, their colour and the soft uncertain space between them."

When I was young and I drew pictures, there was always a gap between the land and the sky. The sky was at the top of the page and the land at the bottom. I wonder now, what was that mysterious space in between?








2 comments:

  1. Like the photos very much. Where are you...since you were in Oregon for only two weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the part about you leaving a gap between sky and ground as a kid. i think we owe a lot of our current artistic output to our childhood. or our child selves.

    ReplyDelete